Navigation



~ Cornworthy Priory ~


Down the combe at the end of what is in effect the long village street on a slight rise at the outskirts of the village is all that remains of Cornworthy Priory once the largest building in the parish.

Dedicated to St. Mary it was for nuns who followed the rule of St. Augustine. The field in which the gatehouse of the Priory can still be seen is private property but it is allowed to open the small gate in the lane at Abbey Cross and walk in.

The gatehouse is slightly later than the foundation which seems to have taken place around 1238.The Priory was founded by a mother and daughter both called Eva de Braose probably with the intention that the nuns should pray for the soul of William de Braose, their husband and father. William had been hanged in 1230 by Llywellyn the Great for adultery with his wife!

Cornworthy Priory was always very small. Initially there were thirteen Augustinian nuns, by 1377 there were nine and at the time of its dissolution there were only seven. The Priory was dissolved in 1536 by Henry VIII. After the Dissolution the buildings became private property passing to the Harris family who made their home out of the converted Abbey buildings. Sadly nothing of this house, Court Abbey, remains.