Navigation



~ Domesday & Medieval ~


The settlement which was undoubtedly here before 1066 belonged at 1086, the date of Domesday Book, to a Saxon called Ulf. It paid tax for three hides – a unit of measurement used for taxation purposes and thought to be assessed as the amount of land required to support a peasant’s life.

At 1086 Cornworthy had eight slaves, twenty villagers and fifteen small-holders. There was land for thirteen ploughs, a mill, a fishery, pasture and woodland. It was valued at sixty shillings. It became the property of Judhael, a Norman magnate, who held it from the king.

Cornworthy was always predominantly an agricultural village. In the fifteenth century it was shipping large quantities of stone, some of which was used for the building of the castles either side of the river mouth in Dartmouth.

This very early place almost certainly lay at the top of the ‘combe’ near to the church. The earliest record of the name is in the Domesday Book of 1086 but the name is much older than that and probably has nothing to do with corn!